You are ineligible to request this option IF:
1. Offense committed in a construction work maintenance zone when workers are present (Sec 502.404, T.C; Art 45.0511(p)(3), C.C.P);
2. Traffic offense committed by a person with a commercial driver's license (Art 45.0511(s), C.C.P.);
3. Passing a school bus (Sec 545.066, T.C.);
4. Leaving the scene of an accident (Sec 550.022 or550.023 T.C.) or
5. Speeding 25 m.p.h. or more over the limit or in excess of 95 m.p.h. (Art 45.0511(b)(5), C.C.P.)
You are eligible to request this option IF you:
1. Have not taken a driving safety course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months; and
2. Are not currently taking this option for another traffic violation either in this court or in another court.
You must be approved by the Court before attempting to complete any Driving Safety Course.
If you are charged with a traffic offense under the Subtitle C, Transportation Code, you may ask the judge on or before the appearance date on the citation, either orally or in writing, to take the driving safety course option. If you were operating a motorcycle and request to take a driving safety course, you must take a motorcycle operator's training course.
At the time of the request, you must do the following:
1. Present proof of financial responsibility (auto liability insurance that meets the State of Texas requirements);
2. Present proof of a valid Texas driver's license;
3. Plead guilty or no contest; and
4. Pay court costs of $109.10, or $134.10 if a speeding in a school zone, without the presence of a crossing guard, violation.
Prosecution of the traffic offense will be postponed for ninety (90) days from your appearance date to allow you time to complete the course and submit proof of completion. You are required to attend a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency or a motorcycle operator's course approved by the Department of Public Safety.
Prior to the end of the ninety (90) day period, you will be required to submit proof of completion of the driver safety course and submit a copy of your driving record as maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety. If you fail to do so, you will be required to pay the fine amount of up to $200.00. The Judge MAY NOT grant you an extension to complete the course.