Planning Department Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is zoning?
All of the land within the City is broken into zones/districts, which allow different land uses, for example residential, office, retail, commercial and industrial. Each zone (or district) has a list of permitted uses. Each district also has a list of certain rules for the development of these uses which include: lot coverage, building setbacks, parking requirements, height requirements, roof pitch, building materials, signage and landscaping.

How is a piece of property zoned?
The Planning Department has an Official Zoning Map for the City of Kyle. This map is kept up to date and is on display at City Hall and on the City’s website. You may either drop by City Hall, view the website or call (512) 262-3942 to find out what a parcel of land is zoned. It is helpful if you have the address and/or legal description of the property.

What are the chances of getting my zoning changed?
Though we cannot tell you specifically whether or not requested zoning will be approved, the Staff can tell you about current trends in zoning in a particular part of the City. We can also tell you what the City's Comprehensive Plan calls for in any area of the City. These pieces of information can be helpful in determining whether or not zoning is likely to be supported on any given property.

Where can I find out more information about the City of Kyle Zoning process?
Please visit the Planning Home Page/Development Processes.

Where can I get a copy of the Zoning Ordinance?
You can view and print a copy of the zoning map and zoning ordinance from the Planning website. You can also purchase a copy of the zoning ordinance or map from our office, located at 100 W. Center St. Please refer to the Price List found under the Services Link.

I would like to schedule a meeting to meet with the City Planner and/or the City Engineer, who do I need to speak to in order to schedule a meeting?
Please schedule all meetings through the, Planning Technician: dguerra [at] cityofkyle [dot] com (subject: Meeting) (Debbie Guerra), (512) 262-3959 or dguerra [at] cityofkyle [dot] com.

Where can I find the City of Kyle Standard Notes and Specifications?
Please note that the Standards Notes and Specifications are currently being drafted and will be available in the near future. In the interim please contact the City Engineer, Leon Barba at (512) 262-3958.

I have a Kyle mailing address, how can I find out if my property is within the City Limits?
You may have a Kyle mailing address but not actually reside in the corporate city limits of the City of Kyle. If you would like to view the city limits or E.T.J (extraterritorial jurisdiction) on a map, please visit the online maps section. Also, you may purchase a map of the City boundaries. Please contact sclamons [at] cityofkyle [dot] com (subject: Address%20Question) (Steve Clamons), GIS Analyst at (512) 262-3942.

My property is not within the City limits but it is directly adjacent, can I request annexation?
Yes. Please contact the Planning Department at (512) 262-3959 or submit a petition for annexation.

What is a plat?
A plat is the official map of an addition or subdivision, showing the number and dimensions of lots, public rights-of-way, and easements. The plat must be filed with the County Clerk after the City has approved it.

How do I re-plat an existing lot?
Texas law provides for two methods to re-plat an existing lot; (1) vacate the existing lot or (2) re-plat with a public hearing. The first way is the best since it clears restrictions pertaining to the lot and it creates a cleaner title history. However, the vacation instrument is required to be signed by all of the owners of lots in the original subdivision. If it is not possible to get all of the owners of lots in the original subdivision to sign the vacation instrument, the second method may be utilized.

Under what circumstances can I amend a plat?
An amending plat may be utilized if the plat is for the purpose of correcting a surveying error or description, correcting a clerical error, re-drawing lot lines between two lots because of an inadvertent encroachment of a structure on a lot line or building line, or for other limited purposes. An amending plat does not need a vacation instrument or a public hearing. Refer to the amending plat requirements in the application manual for more details.

How do I get a plat prepared?
You will need to hire a Registered Professional Land Surveyor. A licensed professional engineer will also be needed if public infrastructure will be required. You can locate a professional engineer or surveyor by contacting the Texas Society of Professional Engineers or the Texas Surveyor's Association or by looking in your local phone directory.

When is a plat not required?
According to the Texas Local Government Code, the platting process is required unless all of the following conditions are met:
The division results in parcels of land that each contain an area greater than five (5) acres.
Each parcel has access to a public street.
No public improvement is being dedicated.

Does the City of Kyle have a copy of a plat for my property?
The City of Kyle does not have surveys of individual lots, but does keep a database of subdivision plats that are within the corporate city limits and the ETJ filed through Hays County. If you would like to request a copy, please contact sclamons [at] cityofkyle [dot] com (subject: Copy%20of%20Plat) (Steve Clamons), GIS Analyst at (512) 262-3942.

How do I get an address?
Addresses are assigned by the Planning Department. The property must be a legal lot before any address can be assigned.

What is a legal lot?
A legal lot is a parcel of land, which has been subdivided with a subdivision plat approved by the governmental agency within whose jurisdiction the subdivision falls. If the parcel is a legal lot and construction documents have been accepted by the City, the owner may apply for a building permit.

Why can’t I get an address before the plat is recorded?
It is not a legal lot. If the configuration of the property changes before being recorded, it creates problems with the addressing.

Does the City enforce deed restrictions?
Deed restrictions are generally private and the City of Kyle does not enforce private deed restrictions.