The Texas Public Information Act (Texas Government Code, Chapter 552), gives you the right to access government records; the officer for public information may not ask you why you want them. All government information is presumed to be available to the public, although certain exceptions may apply. Governmental bodies shall release requested information as promptly as possible, unless the information is exempt from disclosure under the Public Information Act.
The City of Kyle uses the rates established by the Office of the Attorney General to determine charges for copies of public records. At the discretion of the staff member responding to a request, fees may be waived when there are a minimal number of responsive documents.
If the cost of the request is expected to exceed $40, a staff member will send an “estimate letter” to the requestor. The cost letter includes an itemized statement of any copying, personnel or mailing charges that will be incurred in fulfilling the request. Once the requestor confirms that he or she agrees to the estimated costs, a staff member will begin compiling the records. If a requestor does not respond to a cost letter within ten (10) days, the file will be closed.
Where estimated costs exceed $100, the requestor will be required to make a deposit before any records are copied. Typically, the deposit will be equal to the estimated cost of reproducing the requested records.
Common charges include:
- Paper (single sided, black & white, standard size 8.5x11) = $0.10 / page
- Oversize paper, not including maps and photographs = $0.50 / page
- Compact Disk (CD) = $1.00 ea
- Diskette = $1.00 ea
- Audio Cassette = $1.00 ea
- VHS Cassette = $2.50 ea
- DVD = $3.00 ea
- Labor Charges:
- Personnel time for locating, compiling and reproducing records (if less than 50 pages of paper copies are requested, no personnel costs are charged) = $15.00 / hr
- Computer Programming = $28.50 / hr
- Overhead = 20% of the personnel or programming charge
If you have questions about the process, please e-mail the asanchez [at] cityofkyle [dot] com (subject: Open%20Records%20Request) (City Secretary's Office). You can also request a record or document from the City of Kyle through this e-mail account.